Active state navmenu color

Sorry to bring this up again, but I'm having an issue with Preview. I seem to have this working in BSS preview, but not in browser preview, should it work in browser preview as well? If so can someone help me with getting this feature working? I've used external menus for so many years that it's been the norm for me, but I'd like to see if I can just use the default menus and this feature would be necessary of course. I'm trying to get it to show a different background color when the page is the one active, but it just is only doing a hover color or it shows the color solidly when I'm choosing a link in a dropdown, but as soon as the page is opened that was chosen, the colored background disappears again. I'm lost lol. I'm sure it's probably something easy and stupid that I'm overlooking, but ... any help would be appreciated at this point.

I also want the main menu item for a drop down to have the background color when any of it's dropdown children are chosen as well, but there seems to be no way to make that have an Active state when it's a dropdown other than manually which of course messes up the automatic setup with BSS Active state.

Is there a BSS template available with a subnav ? I seem to have no problem with the smartactive setting changing in the browser preview but its only on the basic navbar. Make sure to link your navbar and that all the pages have first.html, second.html, and third.html. I believe you also need to uncheck the active on first.html when using smartactive on the navbar.

Then paste this code in the css styesheet:

.nav-link.active { background-color:rgb(255,184,0); }

Hiya Twinstream and thanks for the info, I'll see what I can figure out on that. Not sure what you mean by numbering the pages unless you were just using those as examples? If so then never mind I got it lol.

I am starting to think that my issue isn't that the feature doesn't work, but that my CSS is a mess because it's a site I updated from 3.3.7 to 4.0 bootstrap and I think there's a ton of extra CSS in there. I wish there was a better way for updating the versions that would take our own CSS into account as well as the default, but ....

Time to remove the old custom file and add classes in one at a time as needed from the old one. I'll let you know what I find out either way!

Jo, something like this ...?

https://twilight-wave-6410.bss.design/

Yeah pretty much, but the same color for all top level menu items, where your's is changing the dropdown background color a bit. I'm sure I can get that part worked out if I can get it to work at all. I'll be working on this over the weekend to see if my old custom CSS file is what is causing it not to work.

Glad I subscribed to this post because Marrco's post doesn't show any text at all. the email I just got has it in it though. This forum is so buggy lol.

Thanks for the tip Marrco, and yeah I'm good with changing things manually when needed even for Navs, but not when they are part of a Linked setup, that's where this new system that BSS has added is supposed to help. If the Nav is all linked, then no changes you make will stick per page, they will change for all pages. I don't want to unlink the Navs as I never know how many pages the client will eventually end up with and having to do all the Navs manually is too much of a pain lol.

I looked into it further on the color problem and found some stray css I had left when I started adding the background colors. Also the menu does not work on touch devices. I think it is related to a bug that has been reported about the double "dropdown-toggle". Some other things are weird to as I wrote a small script to remove and re add the "dropdown-toggle" class correctly and it still does not function on touch devices.