App CSS without main bootstrap css

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it considered bad practice to change the bootstrap.min.css file itself? I understand that it’s a “locked theme”, but if a person can mess up the layout by choosing to use the CDN option from within BSS, then that’s a problem that will eventually arise for other users.

Either way, it would seem to be something that the devs should be made aware of.

1 Like

The CDN export option is ignored if one is using a template in Bootstrap Studio.

It appears the Landing Page does use a special sass compiled version theme so linking to the CDN after removing the custom css would not work for this template.

Note at the bottom of Kuligaposten page comparision that the color gray is different in the theme on this text at the bottom

© Brand 2021. All Rights Reserved. CDN
.text-muted {
color: #6c757d!important;
}

© Brand 2021. All Rights Reserved. Local
.text-muted {
color: #868e96!important;
}

Thats the first template I have seen that uses a actual compiled theme. So you will not be able to use a CDN unless you find out what the changes in the theme are from the CDN and add that as custom css. Then you could use the CDN normal bootstrap.min.css

1 Like

The LandingPage on CDN https://landingcdn.bss.design/
The LandingPage local https://landing-local.bss.design/

Looks the same on both I think

@printninja
if you change your exported HTML you can mess up anything but don’t blame BSS for that

1 Like

Yup will do this… Would be nice not to have to though right?

I guess its not too hard in this simple template/theme to figure out the custom css added and the theme core css changes.

Landing Page

So yes its not too hard but as an idea it would be great if you didnt have to :slight_smile:

By “changing the HTML” do you mean selecting the option in Export Settings “Use a CDN for Libraries”? Because I understand that changes the HTML, but if doing this changes the way a template included with BSS displays, then there should a warning that selecting said option may affect the layout of template “XYZ” that is included with the program. Or “use external CDN at your own risk.”

How else would a new user know that selecting this option was going to change the look of their website?

Until this post, I personally would have assumed there’d be no difference between using the exported site with the CDN selected, and the same with the bootstrap.min.css file generated by BSS on export. IMO, they should be the same. Bootstrap.min.css should remain sacrosanct, no matter where it comes from.

1 Like

Personally i believe the css framework should be left intact and the difference in its own css file. This is how a custom made page would work. I dont think the templates should be any different.

Glad to see there is concensus here :slight_smile:

1 Like

We just need for the devs to read this whole post and see what their thoughts are on this matter.

@martin

This is the intended behavior, I am afraid. Bootstrap templates are generally made by editing the Bootstrap framework itself. This is done by overriding the SASS variables of the framework and recompiling.

The proposed alternative - to leave the bootstrap css file intact, would mean that lots of CSS would need to be overwritten in a second stylesheet. This is a lot of code - as an example if you change the $primary color in bootstrap, you will need to overwrite every single line of CSS that references it with your new value.

The downside of modifying Bootstrap is that there is no CDN version to use. But this is mitigated if you use proxy services like Cloudflare in front of your website.

1 Like

@martin I hope you guys will consider adding an option to leave the Bootstrap CSS file intact. Many visitors will probably have the CDN version cached already. So loading an override stylesheet will be faster than downloading the entire, customized Bootstrap file.

With Google penalizing for slow load times and clients using subpar hosting, I’d love to squeeze out as much speed as possible.