Would be nice if BSS created a new Paragraph when Enter is pressed. [added in 4]

No worries Martin, thanks for letting us know that we're not losing our minds haha! Hopefully it's something that will get remedied at some point, but I'm so used to just dragging my pre-made custom-code component to the location I want it it's not that big of a deal for me.

Martin, I hadn't heard about "contenteditable" before, so I turned to our friend Google to get idea of what it was and what it did. Out there on the wild, wild web I stumbled across a page ( https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Guide/HTML/Editable_content ) that might help when the TODO bubbles up to the top of the list.

BTW, I don't need contenteditable myself, but sometimes my curiosity leads me to some really interesting places.

FWIW, Tony

Just wanted to add my voice to pressing Enter or ALT Enter while editing text adds a new paragraph. Also, when editing a list, enter adds a new list item.

I was converting a text heavy site using Bootstrap Studio today and this functionality would have been a real time saver.

Thanks.

Shift Enter will add a new line to the current paragraph you are working on. To add a new paragraph just duplicate the one you're working on. Best way for me has been to create multiple paragraph lines prior to adding the text so I can just switch to the next one as needed.

I would highly suggest you put your suggestion for a key combo for adding a new list item into a new thread. It's a good idea I think, but once again it is pretty easy to just create a bunch of list items before adding the content. Would still be nice to have a combo that does that for us and switches the focus to the newly created one so you can just keep typing. That I would find more useful than having a combo just create one and then still have to click to change to it. :)

Hi Jo, will do with new topic for the list item.

I love Bootstrap Studio but these editing quicks are a real anomaly. Everything else about the software makes for really efficient and fast web development accept for inputting paragraph content and lists.

Like I said, an ALT Enter keystroke would be all we need and would save a lot of time when converting older websites to Bootstrap or inputing copy from clients.

@cbenci That's an interesting suggestion! It will speed things up quite a bit when entering text. In your opinion, what should happen if you press Alt + Enter in a non-paragraph element, like a heading? Should we create another heading or a paragraph?

@Martin

I'm surprised to see no response to your question.

Surely somebody has a preference.

The Title of this post is "Would be nice if BSS created a new Paragraph when Enter is pressed. [added in 4]".

Accordingly, without any other input, I would lean toward Alt + Enter creating another paragraph.

I'm going to assume since it's a major holiday that a lot of people may not be home to answer this. I don't really have a preference and figure I'll wait to see what everyone else has to say about it first. Have a little patience though, most likely many are not answering because they are gone for the holiday weekend. :)

In the meantime my only addition to this would be as my previous post stated, that the focus would automatically change to the newly created paragraph or what ever other component it creates so that we don't have to click to get to it. That would pretty much defeat the purpose of the quick addition if we had to click/double click to edit the newly created item. Then I may as well click the duplicate button myself :)

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply and input!

I would really like a common keystroke that would add another tag of whatever your working on - if you press ALT + Enter when editing a paragraph, it adds a paragraph, if editing a heading, it adds another heading, if editing list items, it adds another list item etc.

Any text after the ALT + Enter keystroke within the existing tag would get moved to the new tag.

ie.

<p> Some text goes here </p> 

would become this if the ALT + Enter was hit between the words 'text' and 'goes'...

<p> Some text </p>
<p> goes here </p>

Thanks Martin and many thanks for a great product.

I would have to agree with @cbenci after giving this some thought. That way would really be the ideal way, creating another of whatever you're currently working in would be perfect. I would add that yes, we may not always want another Heading, but I do use multiple headings at time and that would save time there as well.

I was mulling over what else could be done to speed things up where text is concerned so we wouldn't have to always find it in the list, then drag it to the location etc. So What about ....

Adding another button to the little top left bar that each component has in the preview pane. With that button add the text possibles of Heading 1 and Paragraphs only. Add the ability for above and below so the list would look something like:

P Above P Below H1 Above H1 Below

I include only these 2 because it's very quick to do a tick to change what H tag you want it to be so just getting the tag in there is really the main issue, and I don't include LI's because if you need an LI then you're working on one so you would use the Alt+Enter that everyone is discussing instead.

You "could" add this to the Overview pane as well with an "Insert" choice that has the dropdown with the info above as well. This would also give you a start where you could expand this further at any time you wanted to by creating multi dropdowns where you would choose one of the categories in the list we see in the Studio tab .. Text, Image, Controls, etc. and expand that to their components lists. I have to say I would use that incessantly rather than having to get it all from a list in the pane all the time. Everyone works differently and having a few ways to do things is always a nice thing. Anyways that's just me brainstorming what I think would be good stuff. :)

I think it would be great if Enter created a new paragraph (even when I have already pasted a large block of text, allowing me to separate the text into paragraphs after the fact). It would save a lot of time. Or even better, when I paste text, create new paragraphs where there are paragraph breaks in the text I am pasting.

Well, although it doesn't create paragraphs, it does automatically insert the line breaks if there are true line breaks in the text you are pasting so that helps some.

I would like to alter this suggestion a bit, since I can't see it ever adding auto paragraphs for us, nothing does that for web building that I'm aware of unless it's a total drag and drop newbie app or something. What I "could" see as useful and possible would be:

When we drop text into a paragraph or title or etc.:

The ability to highlight text within a paragraph or title etc. and then choose a: Paragraph, H1 ... H6, etc. and have it pull that text from the paragraph it was pasted in and place it into those code tags after that paragraph.

Basically this would be the equivalent of cutting text, choosing a new element (P, H1, etc.) and placing it into the project, double clicking the just placed text component and pasting the text you just cut from the other one. That, would save a lot of time and give us a lot of control.

THEN... you could place multiple paragraphs into a paragraph, highlight them one at a time, choose your Text Element you want to create with it and create a new paragraph with the new paragraphs (or other text components) always falling after the last one. That would making separating paragraphs very easy within the app rather than having to copy them one by one and create a new element and click into it to paste the text, etc.

In a text editor we can easily highlight and drag text to a new line and then add tags to the ends of it for P, H1, etc. quick and easy. Would be nice if it were almost as quick and easy to do that in here too. This could be that update that allows us to do that so to speak.

Just a thought and would help both the OP and I'm sure many others that want to streamline their pasting, or those that may change their minds about where they want a specific sentence.

@sungkhum This was added a while back. Just press Alt+Enter and your Paragraph/Heading/Span etc is split. As for pasting, you can try the Edit > Paste From Word option

I got to this a bit late, and was struggling to figure how to sort the issue of pasting a large body of text, then having to split it into multiple paragraphs. Alt + Enter is GOLD !!!