A simple CMS is all it needs - Hugo

Right now the only reason I cannot use Bootstrap studio is because once i design something and insert some PHP code. There is no way to use Bootstrap Studio after that. I have to hand code everything after that.

You could make it generate static files like Hugo(https://gohugo.io/) or use it internally.

I purchased Bootstrap last year but then never renewed the license because I never had any use for it after the initial design. If you make the design usable like a CMS from BootstrapStudio (preferably supporting Hugo like setup) I would definitely have a chance to keep using it and keep renewing the license. I think it would make good business sense as well :)

If you have it on the future roadmap, I am definitely renewing my license :)

2 Likes

Thank you for your suggestion! I think that building a CMS would be quite complex and it is a bit out of the scope for the app. Of course we would love to hear other people's opinion on this.

I think there are plenty of CMS plug-ins out there that we don't need it in here. The downside though is that many of them require lots of code comments to be added which are actually part of the functionality, not just for documentation. If you were to actually do that, then these plug-ins as well as many other types could be more easily used within BSS without having to deal with adding it to the BSS app itself. :)

I have been using Bootstrap Studio for about two years and love it. When it comes to creating and posting blog articles on a site, I find it falls short. In my case I create columns and make them responsibe but always have to create the cards manually, have to manually manage the content of each card. The main issue is that I usually have an issue when I have to switch from an odd number to an even number of cards.

Bottom line I have been trying Hugo for some time and love it for the specific reason that it is great for creating blog articles and concentrate on the content. And the markdown to HTML conversion is just awesome: you have pure static content in the end after you compile, which makes sites very fast. But Hugo has no editor like Bootstrap Studio which is fine but kind of makes you dependent on themes. And although there are nice themes many don’t have the features one wants. By the way many themes use Bootstrap!

I think Bootstrap Studio could very well fill in the void here and be the Hugo missing Editor and benefit from it by adding solid Blog articles editing with all the taxonomy features and others that Hugo has to offer.

1 Like

@julienep I bought Pinegrow Theme Converter. So when a customer needs a design converted into a WP theme (that's where the CMS market is atm) I can do it for him. And of course, charge for the additional conversion job.

For me BSS is fine as it is. A tool for prototyping and creating small static sites. Fits perfectly in my workflow when creating small websites. And when the customer asks for a CMS version he can modify the Theme Converter quickly does the job for me.

There are more important features devs are building now. Like multi-monitor support

This app has been made for something else and its waste of time to implement something like this to the tool which wasnt never supposed to work around these. I actually do love the way how BSS wirks its great compromise between full coding and drag and drop its perfect middle which i do love about this software. Obviously we could improve and expand this tool in the further future, but not at this moment. Theres more features to add yet which are more needed than cms system ehich u have everywhere around althought it would be cool to get something similiar to cms in the future, but not at this current state of the app. Im actually waiting for more content,options and features for this app or added in plugins/components aka js libraries which will be supported in the panrl and options by BSS.

In my view you should facilitate an easy interface to jQuery code, that would make Bootstrap Studio into a better web development platform. I think you could do this by creating new library components that would be visible during editing but invisible when pages are displayed on a website.

The 1st component could be selected as the receipient of a Smart Form output instead of the data going to email. This component would be a block of text containing user jQuery code with the variables being derived from the Smart Form data. It would be in the hands of the user to make sure that the jQuery code worked as intended but you could help by allowing the user to designate his own text editor for the code creation/editing.

The 2nd component would be a 'Display Form' able to accept variables passed to it from a block of text containing user jQuery code. This would probably be the trickiest component to develop because you would need to parse the variables but that could be simplified by restricting all characters to a limited range of values. The variables themselves would be defined when the Display Form was created. I think the Display Form should update when the page is viewed for the 1st time, when refreshed and possibly also by the webuser clicking on the Display Form.

The Bootstrap Studio user would then have a great frontend for interactive code.

regards,

Stephen

Hi,

Coming back to this topic… I had a look at Pinegrow Theme Converter but it is a subscription, I know it is the standard today, but I have a rule to not use software based on subscriptions: you keep stacking subscriptions everywhere.

I was curious to gather recommended ways to create blog pages which include taxonomy information such as tags and categories? As well as navigation pages where we can list all available tags and categories. Curious to see the different options available, if those necessarily involve plug-ins, databases, php or if there is any static way of achieving this similarly to Hugo.

Really, I am not looking to create thousands of pages of a dynamic site using a database.
Is there any way to simply have a text file (plain text, yaml…) which stores tags and categories for each blog post page and have the blog post page read this from the text file?

Regards

1 Like

Hello, I’m definitely way too late to the party but thought i’d give it a go anyways.
I used to have the same issues as the original poster. Jo mentioned to me a year or two ago that i could just use custom code snippets to insert my code, it took a few months to actually get used to.

Moving forward I’ve made a few sites with that method. I’ve made a site that i just put live, and genuinly works really well. I’ve done the front end with Bootstrap Studio, and added custom code snippets with PHP code to fill in information from MySQL and along with PHP AJAX it works better than expected.

StackOverflow saved me once again.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. It’s always good to hear success stories in our industry.