Ability to disable or move the "asset reference" message popup

These message popups appears directly over the Design panel when you rename a file. If you rename multiple files quickly, the messages stack up and block the screen. While you can close them one-by-one, and they do disappear after 7-8 seconds, it’s still kind of annoying having them block the files at all.

It would be great if there was an option to disable these warnings, or at least be able to move them somewhere else on the screen.

asset

2 Likes

+1 I’ve thought this often myself too. I don’t want to turn them off since they give me an easy way to know what has changed when I do something, but it would be nice to have them movable and would be even nicer if they were contained within a single container that when you move one you move them all until the last one goes away and the container then disappears with it.

Looking over the app’s setup, there really isn’t a good spot for these to show up so I can see why you chose that area being it’s most likely the least used, but … when there’s multiple dialogs that pop up, as @printninja mentioned, it does get a bit overbearing when you cannot get to anything in that bottom right Panel until you close them all or they disappear.

P.S. Just wanted to say having them movable themselves would really not help much if a lot of them pop up, would really be better in a container that is resizable and movable so we can control the real estate they take up.

@martin Giving this a bump. Not sure if you ever saw it.

Moving them will just get in the way of something else. Building a settings UI for disabling different types of notifications will be a lot of work that we better spend elsewhere.

Maybe a button to dismiss all currently visible notifications would solve this problem?

What about a notifications slide in that we can toggle open and closed? This way we could still keep the messages to read when we finish with whatever we’re working on and delete them singly inside that box or maybe with a checkbox too that we can clear all? Mac does real well with slide-ins and I’m pretty sure Windows has that feature now too for notifications.

In most Adobe software, many of the notifications/warnings have a checkbox that says, “do not show this message again.” That would be my preferred solution.

While it may be useful for beginners, I simply don’t need multiple messages telling me something was overwritten or updated. And I’m already aware of how Undo works.

After you’ve been using (any) software for a few weeks, you pretty much know how everything works, and the warnings/alerts just become intrusive.

@printninja That’s a good point. We will look into implementing this in one of our next releases.

This will be a choice I hope? Sometimes those dialog boxes are the only clue that what you did worked or didn’t work so I personally wouldn’t want them to be removed permanently. I agree they are problematic at times, and there’s really no good place for them to pop up, but I wouldn’t want them gone completely.

Could this be done by message type? In other words, we could turn off specific messages like those shown in @printninja’s post, while still getting others like error messages and such?

The way the warnings/alerts work in Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator is that most warnings have a small box in the bottom corner that you can check that says, “do not show this message again.”

Then, somewhere in the top menu, there’s a preference option to “reset warning dialogs” so that if you accidentally set a warning to not be shown, you can “unset” all the warnings and return the program’s warning behavior to the way it was when it was first installed.