Bootstrap Studio Crash

Hi,
Straight to the point: Bootstrap Studio often crashes, losing all not saved progress.
Often it happens randomly (or I didn’t find a pattern in the workflow), but it seems that work “slowly” reduces the occurences.

I found only one way to replicate the crash:

• Open a project
  • Try open another project (in another tab)
  • After the project opens, 90% of the time it crashes after a few seconds

This is the log output from boot to the crash:

Update for version 6.1.3 is not available (latest version: 6.1.3, downgrade is disallowed).
sendToFrame() failed: Error: Render frame was disposed before WebFrameMain could be accessed
Attempting to call a function in a renderer window that has been closed or released.
Function provided here: electron.js:1428:16
Remote event names: focus
sendToFrame() failed: Error: Render frame was disposed before WebFrameMain could be accessed
Attempting to call a function in a renderer window that has been closed or released.
Function provided here: electron.js:1430:16
Remote event names: blur

The software then shows an empty black screen with only the top menu (File, Edit, View, …) that is still responsive.

I also tried to start the software with these options:

-enable-feature=VaapiVideoDecoder --disable-gpu --disable-software-rasterizer

But the result doesn’t change.

This is my system information:

try to use --no-sandbox option when running BSS.
I also use Debian (sid version) with Intel i7-9750H and dual GPU (Intel CoffeeLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650) all is well here :")

1 Like

It’s possible that this is a GPU-related crash or maybe an aggressive OOM killer killed the render process. The latter can happen if your system is low on memory, but since you have 16gb it seems unlikely.

At the moment Bootstrap Studio doesn’t forward command line flags to the Electron window, which makes it impossible to test if it is due to your system’s GPU drivers. We will add support for this in our next update.

Something you can try now is resetting the app to a fresh state, and checking whether the crash is due to a specific design or if it happens with any combinations of designs.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, the --no-sandbox option doesn’t work
I’ll try the fresh state reset and keep you updated. Thank you

EDIT:
Fresh didn’t change the problem :frowning:

Anything else I can do ?

UPDATE:
The issue has been solved with the latest update ( probably due to a fix with electron itself)
With the current version 6.2.1, I didn’t experience any crash or freeze.

Thanks everyone

3 Likes

Hi, its still happening.

Somehow, while working with just one opened project at a time i got no crashes so far.

Wrong… it still happening, even opening a single project a a time. Im getting frustrated… I have to re-check and try to remember every changes i made…

None of the users in the forum will be able to help you with this, but if you want the developers to try and help, I’d suggest messaging them directly here Report a Bug and give them as much detail about your computer, operating system, and the circumstances under which the program is crashing.

I’d also set your backups to every 5 minutes, which will hopefully prevent you from losing too much work in the event of a crash.

1 Like