BSS adding breaks everywhere

Strange. I have not found this to be the case.

It could be that I’m getting these extra </br>'s because I’m on Windows 7. I don’t have a machine with Windows 10 on it to do a test (though that may change later this year.) I’m loathe to upgrade my current system to Windows 10.

I know it’s inevitable that I will have to get a new computer, and that computer will almost certainly run Windows 10 (I’m not a big Linux person,) but I’m trying to avoid this for as long as I can because I simply cannot stomach the idea of Microsoft having so much control over a computer that I own. I’ve owned dozens of computers going back to the late 1970’s, and I’ve never had a machine that forced me to upgrade the O.S. whenever it wanted, whether I wanted to do it or not. It’s simply inconceivable to me that Windows has wormed itself this deeply into people’s lives.

Welcome to the Technocracy.

The verdict is that your method is the way to do it. Ctrl - Shift - V. That ensures there are no breaks. But sometimes it still pastes in some formatting (eg. strong). I don’t know why. Good enough, solved a big issue for me. Thanks.

1 Like

Just a further note: If you paste it in the normal way, you can’t just delete the contents of the paragraph and try again with the unformatted way. BSS will remember the first way, and will add the break or formatting that you don’t want. There’s nothing you can do about it except delete the paragraph and drag in a shiny new paragraph element. You can never re-use the existing paragraph.

@Plutarch
Take a look at the video I posted in this tree earlier, at the end you can see how to remove a linebreak that is under the paragraph

I have yet to find any way to copy and paste text on the Windows version of BSS without the program adding in unnecessary </br>'s in the HTML. It even does it when copying and pasting from directly within the program. Below is a screen shot of the results I get (everything in red was added to the image in Photoshop.)

Can anyone else here on Windows verify this?

I watched the video again. It looks like you added a new paragraph underneath the problem paragraph, then deleted the new paragraph. When I did that, it didn’t change anything. Could you possibly let me know which keys you pressed?

I would like to hear what the developers thoughts are on this post. I do not believe the program is supposed to add any breaks when one uses ctrl+shift+v, but it does (at least on Windows.)
@martin
@gabby

@Plutarch

Here is the keys again Alt-Shift-Enter

@kuligaposten Ah, sorry, didn’t see your caption under the video. My apologies, and thanks.

Just popping into this thread again because I’m noticing lately that I cannot remove the breaks if I added them with the shift+enter key combo, on MacOS Big Sur, Mac Mini. I’m not sure exactly when it started being a problem unfortunately since I don’t use that combo all that often.

Thanks @kuligaposten for that quick way to get rid of them via creating new ones with key combos. That did work for me to get rid of them. Most appreciated.

1 Like

I must not have been paying close attention earlier as I’m now seeing these all over the place in Mac version too. I’ll check to see if it’s as prominent in BSS5 as it seems to be in BS3 since I’m working on a site that’s still holding tight to their cash and not wanting to update lol.

Yeah it’s any copy and paste for which you don’t use Control-Shift-V. Even if you are copying a line from BSS (ie. not from something external), say cutting and pasting a sentence from the end of a BSS paragraph to the beginning, if you just use Control-V it will add breaks.

Actually I did narrow own a few things today:

Testing this on both paragraphs and lists at this time.

(This is on MAC Mini with MacOS Big Sur)

You WILL get an extra space if you:

1. Double click a line of text in your text editor to highlight the full line and copy/paste it.
  • Pasting via double click of text component and paste directly.
  • 100% reproducible.
  1. Do #1 but instead of directly pasting, you double click and highlight the text in the BSS text component before pasting.

2. Obvious I would hope, duplicating the text component that has the extra line break in it already.

You WON’T get an extra line break if you:

1. Copy the text from your text editor by highlighting just the text and then double clicking the text component and highlight just the text.
  • 100% reproducible for me.

P.S. I am copying/pasting only with Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V not using the shift option at all. (note: I have my keyboard mapped like a Windows setup so I don’t have to fight with the Ctrl and Cmd buttons)

It’s a little annoying, but in the grand scheme of everything the devs have been adding and improving, I can live with extra line breaks. I’m sure at some point they’ll get it sussed out.

Ok to add an addendum to my previous post:

(This is on MAC Mini with MacOS Big Sur)
Testing this on both paragraphs and lists at this time.

You WILL get added line breaks if:

1. The last word in a sentence or list has Italics applied and you paste over it. This also happens if you duplicate the item that has the italics in the last word and paste over it.
  • Pasting done either by double clicking and direct pasting or double clicking and highlighting the text within BSS.
  • Copying doesn’t seem to matter if you highlight just text or whole line so you get it no matter what
  • 100% reproducible

You WON’T get the extra line break if you:

1. Delete the italicized (entire word/phrase so that the attributes are not in the line of text anymore. Then you can paste and not have the extra line break as normal.
  • 100% reproducible
  1. Have a period at the end of the sentence just after the italicized word and not included within the tags. You can copy and paste over this with no issues, but if you remove the period it will give you the line break again. If you put the period inside the tags again you will get the extra line break when pasting over it.
  • 100% reproducible
  1. Highlight the italicized text and turn the italic styling off. You will then be able to paste over the text as normal without getting the extra line break.
  • 100% reproducible

P.S. I am copying/pasting only with Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V not using the shift option at all. (note: I have my keyboard mapped like a Windows setup so I don’t have to fight with the Ctrl and Cmd buttons)

Bumping this up because everything I enter into this table I’m working on ends up with the extra line breaks, regardless of italics or periods etc. I’ve tried pasting into Textmate first (set up as a basic text editor so it shouldn’t show extra code etc.) and then copying and pasting from there to BSS. I’ve tried doing the same in Visual Studio and it doesn’t seem to matter.

I have tried just copying small amounts one line at a time, and some with multiple lines, doesn’t seem to matter.
It’s very very frustrating and it’s been years since this was reported first. Can we please get this fixed? I mean, I don’t even know if it’s hurting anything, or if it’s even a real line break. Doesn’t show up in the Overview, doesn’t seem to show up as a real break visually, just in the HTML window. I’m more concerned that it’s something that I’m going to have to go back and fix in who knows how many sites before I knew it was doing that if it is creating an issue.

Some feedback on this would be nice.

@jo-r

If you paste the text via the chars button in the tools menu, you will not get any line breaks what so ever

Thanks @kuligaposten that will help for now, but it’s an extra step.

@Martin … hear me out here lol it will sound crazy I’m sure.
What if the Char window could be opened somewhere where it’s not on top of the text we’re trying to edit.
What if that window could be set to Stay On Top so that it doesn’t close while we’re editing that text (just in case we want to edit bold and such in the other area of the Tools.
And when we’re done we close it and it closes the edit part of the text we were editing.

Or maybe easier yet, what about maybe a Keyboard Combo (an easy one to get to since it would be used a lot) to open the Char window for any text element that is selected so we don’t have to go into the edit mode first, just hit the key combo and that would initiate the edit mode and open the char window. That would probably be pretty cool.

Or fix the line break issue lol, anything would help at this point because it’s so random I can’t figure it out. I can do exactly the same thing to one table cell as I did in the previous one and one of them will get that danged line break and one won’t. It’s absolutely maddening to not figure this out lol.

P.S. Just for a tip, you can do the same thing in a table to get rid of the extra line break as we do with paragraphs etc. using the key combo to create a new one and then delete it. Just makes a new cell instead of a paragraph. But I don’t waaaannnnaaaa! LMAO goes and pouts in the corner