BSS Forum Login fails to remember me

When I login to this forum, I check the box to remember my login, but if I visit the forum again within a few minutes, I have to enter the password again. This behavior is unlike that of other fora, so I assume it's a bug. It's also annoying.

Check your browser settings and make sure you don't have it clearing the cache every time you close the browser. That's a culprit that sometimes catches me too lol.

Also, I'd like to add on to this that there is definitely an issue with logging in using multiple devices. If I log in on my Mac, then log in on my Windows Laptop or my iPad it will reset my login on my computer. Pretty much any time I log in on a different device it resets all the others. That should definitely not be happening, but ... just in case that's your issue too then you'll know why. Something amiss there for sure.

I don't logout of my browser between logins. I stay in one browser process most days. I would ask my browser to clear my cache often if I could, as a developer who changes my own files frequently, but Firefox supports only limited suppression of caching. Besides, saving a password belongs on the server side in session-level variables, where a cryptographic transform of the password should be saved.

Also, I'm not logging in on multiple devices. I would have said so.

I log in from the same Firefox session and have to specify the password each time. Do you actually try out a bug report before you start giving your opinions about it or not? I'm not lazy: I always try out what someone posts before I give them the benefit of my 55 years of programming experience.

David, you are being unfair. You asked a totally vague question to which Jo tried to give you an reasonable answer. You didn't mention your browser, computer, O.S., whether you were closing the browser between visits, whether you were using any browser plug-ins that block scripts or delete cookies, etc, all of which would normally provided info in a technical question from someone with "55 years of programming experience."

For a long time I ran a plugin called "auto-destruct cookies" (not sure if it was in Chrome or Firefox) and it would simply do exactly what it said at an interval that I set.

It sounds like you may have a discovered a genuine bug, so you can wait and see if any other users can confirm this behavior, or wait until devs check this forum and see it

Or you can be proactive and file a bug report directly. https://bootstrapstudio.io/bug-report

Just remember, everyone here is trying to be helpful and supportive, and you have been asking a LOT of questions recently which people (like myself and Jo) have graciously been spending our own valuable time to answer and explain. And frankly, some of your questions could have probably been answered if you watched the tutorial videos.

Wow 2 posts today you stepped on me, not sure what I did to piss you off, but lose the attitude. I'm trying to help and nothing more, but your sarcasm is wearing on me and I may not bother anymore if that's how you want to treat people who try to help you sheesh.

Also, apparently you are unaware of a setting in Firefox that can clear your browser cache and data on closing the browser. It's in the preferences under Privacy ... so yes, it can do it if you tell it to, it has the capability. I am pretty sure almost all browsers have this setting, but I use FF and did Chrome for many years as well and I know both of those have it. Just to be clear since you seem to think I'm talking out of my ass.

The rest was more for the Dev team than for you, since I've been going to post it for months and just didn't bother.

@Printninja @Jo Please excuse me for the too-brief or too-uncivil postings. I have been focusing on Bootstrap and BSS lately, mostly on learning Bootstrap, and this focus on technology that is simultaneously very helpful, very detailed, and very inconsistent, has put me in a very frustrated mood. I have, however, no right to allow that mood to affect my communications in this way and I apologize.

Yes, this login thing looks like a bug. As for the "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" option in Firefox, I keep it unchecked and rely on developer tools and PHP directives to suppress the cache during debugging. Those tools are not in use when I login to a website. Firefox tells me that it uses over 1 GB in its cache. Somewhere in there ought to be my password, yet "remember me" doesn't seem to work in this forum, under Windows Home and Firefox, and Lastpass.

In general, I have been trying to let go of my questions (or experiment on my own) instead of posting here. I guess I haven't been too successful. As I said, my goal is to discover which Bootstrap components are basic, so I can convert them into macros that can be assembled and parameterized easily by hand (and possibly by a GUI). It is clear to me that Bootstrap gives us the tools to create good-looking websites quickly, which is an appealing goal for someone who mostly wants to do programming using the Web.

It's a very frustrating process, since Bootstrap and BSS both seem to mix all the Bootstrap features together without distinguishing them so one would know when to use one and when to use another. For example, the BSS on-hover help for each component makes many of them sound the same, so it doesn't really provide guidance for laying out a website. As someone who has always been more interested in the programming side of Web design, this lack of guidance is quite frustrating. This frustration is in addition to the frustration caused by the BSS failure to implement all the features (particularly the ones that bring CSS into HTML, like the "mr-4" class).

I am about a third through the top-rated Bootstrap and CSS course, so I now know a lot of details that have cast light on how Bootstrap moves CSS into the HTML. But since BSS itself does not make use of these features, I have yet to learn the stuff I really need to know to feel any sense of mastery here, for example all the details of the differences between the Nav and Navbar components.

Thank you all for helping me, a total beginner in this stuff, proceed. Any beginner would be frustrated, but having so many years of experience in software actually seems to make my frustration worse. When we/I write software, a big goal is to make it very easy to use and to install. BSS is certainly easy to install, but using it to layout a website requires very detailed and astonishingly lengthy learning, more like low-level software such as jQuery than the kind of software I'm most familiar with, tools such as maps, calculators, translators, and browsers, which must be easy to learn and use.

The Firefox storage inspector reports 9 cookies from BSS fora. Some have names starting with "wordpress" and appear to include login information. I don't have the time to see if and when they persist, sorry.

@David

The BSS studio forum is done in Wordpress. The forum is a Wordpress plug-in called bbpress. It's not my favorite forum software (by any stretch.) It falls far short in so many ways. You can't msg other users, you can't delete posts (or edit them after a certain period of time)... really basic stuff. I'm used to more sophisticated forums like discourse.org. Sorry I can't help you with your login issue. I can't reproduce the problem on my machine.

As for the other post, consider it water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. We all get stressed out.

If I may offer a bit of advice... I too have been using computers my whole life, and have learned and forgotten more software and languages than most computer users today will ever encounter. When I was in my 20's and 30's. I could teach myself anything in a few days. I absorbed stuff like a sponge. Now, in my mid-fifties, I DREAD the notion of having to learn a new program. I've been avoiding javascript and Sass (to my own detriment) for the last 1-2 years. The days when I could schedule out 30 tasks in 15 min increments in Outlook's calendar and just plow through them are long, long gone.

I didn't start learning websites until I was 43. Twelve years ago, there were very few website builders, and not many helpful resources online like Stack Overflow or CSS Tricks. It took me 2 years just to figure out how HTML and CSS combined to produce website pages. It was a total shock to me when I learned that you could create inline styles, or add CSS right on an HTML page using <style></style> It took me almost 5 years before I was really comfortable writing out my own CSS classes (constantly referring to reference sites like WC3 for syntax.) I still have trouble with CSS animations. I can barely cobble together javascript snippets that I copy from other sites and get them to work on my own sites. I spent three hours the other day trying to understand why the "truncate" option wasn't working on the text on one of my pages (it turns out truncate doesn't work in a <span>

There is so much to web design that is not obvious to those of us who came along "late in the game." It's sometimes baffling trying to find simple explanations for things like the difference between <button:hover> and <button::hover> or why heading tags have a dot and no dot .h1, h1 or why this <.myClass .otherClass> is different from<.myClass, .otherClass>

So you end up spending half your time doing Google searches, reading through (mostly) Stack Overflow threads, or posting in forums. My first choice is to go look online for the info, because I hate waiting for responses in forums (some of which may never come.) I'm just a self-learner that way. But it slows efficiency down to a crawl, and maximizes frustration.

But there is good news. As you learn more and more about web development, your skill starts to increase exponentially. What took you a week to learn last month will take you two days to learn this month, and two hours to learn next month. It all builds on itself. We were all beginners at some point, and sometimes it's hard to go back mentally to those frustrating days when nothing seemed to make sense, which is primarily why I try to help people out here in the forums. I wish there was someone like me to do what I do for others when I first came here (which is not to say there wasn't, but you get the idea.) I believe in "paying it forward."

Just stick with it. I promise, it gets easier.

@Printninja Thank so much for this peer advice. Everything you write resonates with me. When one is no longer young and sponge-like, it is such a treat to find a really well designed language, framework, or technology. For me, that means searching and evaluating and not jumping on the first Angular, Vue, Go, React, or Haskell (to name a few random technologies) that comes along and offers perfection and solution on its home page, then asks you to install without any further discussion! And for me it means a motivation to try to design my own web and app frameworks (of which I've started implementing several over the years).

Similarly, I've been looking for a new text editor for several years (no, I don't want suggestions), and I've evaluated about 14 of them so far. My current editor (Notetab Pro) works mostly great, but has destructive bugs when it deals with UTF-8 text! And, it is now unsupported. Most people seem to use VSCode, Sublime, or a few others. In the past few days I've been lucky enough to discover "010 Editor", a really well designed and reliable product that is missing only a projects feature. I am thinking about designing that feature, with the support of the developer. Such a project will benefit me and so many others, and doesn't have a body of bad yet unchangeable design behind it, like any effort that depends on CSS does.

Thanks also for telling me that this bug doesn't happen for you. When one encounters a bug, one tends to assume it is a bug for everyone. But this is often not true, and impossible to know until someone thinks to report their experience, It is probably caused by an interaction with something in my environment.