Bug or Feature? Bug to me lol .. scrolling right click menu??

Ok I'm all for scrolling menus when they won't fit on the screen, makes life easier for sure, but ....

Is there a purpose to this scrolling when you're at the very bottom of the Overview pane and right clicking a component? It's a pain in my arse is what it is, an extra step every time I need to do something with anything at the bottom. It doesn't happen any other time so far, only at the bottom and the kicker is .... there's a ton of room right above and to the right, the entire app is open ... I'm on a huge screen not a phone lol. So ...

Can we get someone to check on this? It's kind of goofy that it's doing this there. It's not always the exact bottom item on the view either, sometimes it's a couple above it and the bottom one will open up fully.

Personally I see no need for a scrolling window there at all as it's on the bottom part of the window and there's so much room for it to go up with and there aren't all that many choices on the window even at this time to warrant having to scroll through them. Just my opinion there of course, but I can't possibly be the only one that is frustrated with this extra step of having to constantly scroll that little tiny window. :)

P.S. This definitely didn't happen before the last updates.

This must be something in 5.x. I don't see what you're talking about, but I'm still using 4.x

Well that would be why since I did say it wasn't in the last version :P

Just upgrade already LOL :P

Soon. I'm in the midst of 2 sites and teaching someone to use BSS and they're still on 4.x (can't trust them to upgrade unless I'm at their computer with them.) Long story.

Ahh yes, say no more ... wish they would make the upgrades to major versions separate entities, then you could have all versions installed for this purpose. I have a couple clients on the app as well, but fortunately for me, they upgrade when I tell them it's available and give them step by steps to do it lol. Also, they really should get used to upgrading because it will update here and there anyways and they should always do so and get used to looking for new features. My motto on that is ... if you're planning to do your own updates, then you need to take responsibility for the software you need and keeping it up to date. I alert them of updates, if it's a major one (like it was for 3 to 4) I give them steps to do, but basic ones I just alert them there is one, it's up to them to do the update or not.

Teaching is a different ballgame, but still it would be good to get them up to speed with the newer technology. After all, it's not like they have to pay for the upgrades so it's in their best interest, and yours, to keep it up to date. :)

Thank you for reporting this! Would it be possible send us a screenshot? Context menus can be tricky to screenshot because they disappear on click, but if you set the screenshot tool with a delay of a few seconds it can be done.

Screenshots sent. No worries it was actually pretty simple because the right click menus are not mouse sensitive, but click sensitive so they even stayed open so I could just screenshot specific dimensions, gotta love Mac :P I like that feature actually! Hope it's not a bug lol.

Just bumping this up as it's still a horrible thing to deal with and hopefully will get some love soon.

Strange, I am pretty sure we fixed this bug a while back. It doesn't seem to happen when I test in 5.4.0. Is this on the detached editor panel?

This is in the Overview pane only so far. I had sent you screenshots but here are some more. Detached window doesn't affect the scroller, but ... the little popup will sometimes go to the bottom corner of my other screen which is odd, and the scroller happens when it does that too.

I am on Mac version, am on High Sierra OS.

Here's screenshots that I just took:

Oddball behavior that it almost never happens when I click the very last selection that is viewable on the pane (not the last one in the list, just the last viewable one):

Here I selected a component a few lines up the tree, and then it happens. Happens always, just not always in the same spots, sometimes it starts a little lower in the tree too, just hardly ever the last one:

So it’s been quite some time since I posted this and lately I’ve noticed this is happening outside of BSS as well, so I’m thinking this may be a symptom (well I call it that since it’s an annoyance at best lol) of MacOS Big Sur or similar. I’ll look into this further and see if I can find anything out, but I’m pretty sure it’s not BSS causing this at this point. I’ll check back if I find anything else on it.

I can’t reproduce it in BSS, but if you’re seeing it in other software, it’s almost certainly an O.S. behavior/bug. More and more I’m finding the tradeoff of using the latest hardware/software these days is that consumers are being used as (uncompensated) beta-testers.

Yeah that’s a typical scenario these days indeed.

I’ve been trying google searches on this issue and I have only found one site that had info on settings that could be adjusted for the mouse. Those settings are not there for me in my settings. I am starting to wonder if maybe it’s my mouse/keyboard combo thing causing it. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard that allow me to switch between 3 devices. Right now I only have 2 running on them, but because of this, the default Mouse settings are not there. Even though my mouse is connected via Bluetooth, it doesn’t show up in the settings when I check the mouse Bluetooth settings. But … if I click the Bluetooth settings directly my mouse shows up there, and keyboard as well. Confusing to say the least.

Anyways, I digress, I’m starting to think that that is what might be causing my issue. Thankfully it’s just an annoyance and all works ok just have to scroll to get to things is all. I can deal with it and I’ll just keep looking every so often to see if anything comes up about it.

Re: mouse and keyboard, I’ve been a devotee of Logitech products for 20-plus years. I’ve only experienced a few glitches with their software in all that time, and they eventually fix them. Their keyboard are great other than the fact that after 3-4 years, the letters tend to wear off the most used keys. (That just reminded me to look up on Amazon and see if anyone still makes dry-rub-transfer letters. I used to used them all the time in my college days. Mase by a company called Letraset back them.)

The Logitech mouse I have is a beautiful thing. It has 3 programmable buttons. It’s set so I can access my desktop with a single click by clicking the first button on the left side. I can open a new browser window by clicking the second button on the left side. The mouse wheel acts as the “third button” for all of BSS third button features. It’s a wireless laser mouse with a infrared USB receiver. Super precise and uses two AA batteries (all the “small” batteries in my house are rechargeable ni-cads, so I always have a fresh sets on hand when any of my remotes, mouse, or other tech devices “die.”) The Logitech keyboard is also wireless (same IR receiver) and uses 2 AA batteries that have lasted over 3 years. It too has a bevy of programmable keys and is fully customizable. I absolutely love both devices.

Keyboard

Mouse

I bought the two together in a combo package from Newegg.com for about $60 around 3-4 years ago.

Yeah I love Logitech too, I fell in love with the MX Keys keyboard after buying a combo set a couple months before hand so the keyboard got changed. I opted not to use the USB and went with the Bluetooth as it seemed much smoother. Being a gamer, my mouse has to have a good handful of buttons lol so it has three main buttons on the left side, then the bottom area is a soft button and of course the scroll button and another behind. Suits me perfectly. :slight_smile:

I’m not a gamer, but I still do a fair bit of graphic design, so precision and the ability to have very tight control over a small area of the screen is important to me.

I starting with corded, “ball” mice back in the mid-1980’s, where you used to have to clean the ball and rollers with alcohol and q-tips every few days. The advent of the first “non-ball” technologies was like a miracle dream come true. But I do remember the first LED mice were very finicky. Some needed special reflective mouse pads, or wouldn’t work on certain colored surfaces, or certain textures. The first cordless mice were also not the greatest. They could be “jumpy” and unpredictable. It took a few years for them to really perfect the two technologies.

The laser LED was the big breakthrough. Once they got that tech down, where the mouse was actually “taking pictures” of the surface, the glitches with surfaces were pretty much solved. They just kept increasing resolutions, “sampling rates” and then the means of connection (wired vs wireless) became important. I remember laughing when, for the first time, I was able to use one of newer generation of wireless laser mice on my leg!

I’m not up on the differences/advantages of wireless IR vs Bluetooth today. I’ve always eschewed Bluetooth technology because I remember it being so bad at connecting my phone to my car stereo, or transmitting music at a good quality, so I’m surprised to hear it’s now the preferred technology for gaming mice. But I also know it’s matured considerably in the last few years with wireless earbuds, etc… I haven’t played computer games since the late 90’s (can’t afford to get addicted to that drug!) but I know today’s gamers are a very demanding bunch, and traditionally, the evolution of home computer technology has always been driven by the demands of the gaming community.

I haven’t experimented with bluetooth in years, so I guess they must have perfected it as well by now. I always bought the best Logitech mice available throughout the 2000’s, but now the “ordinary” mouse I linked to above is far more precise than what I even need. It puts the expensive “dinosaur mice” I used in the 2000’s to shame, (and I’d spend $100 on a mouse back then without batting an eye just because we needed the precision in our work.)