Changing column & row bkg colors?

I’m a complete noobie to this program, and for the life of me can’t seem to find the correct way (or easiest way?) to simply change the bkg color for an empty row or column? When you select the row or column element, it lets me change the color to what I want and reflects that change in the HTML & CSS (see screenshot)

Except that it doesn’t update on the page or when you preview. What am I missing?

An empty row or column has a height of zero. Add an element in the row or column and you will see the background-color

1 Like

Yep! Just figured that out. It’s a little confusing at first, but I’ll get the hang of it. What about this… Do you have to use a container to put flex rows and columns into? Or can you build your grid layout using the rows and columns by themselves?

The flexbox grid

The css grid

enjoy the reading

1 Like

Technically there’s nothing stopping you from placing a row directly in the body, but it would be wrong to do it that way. From the official Bootstrap website…

Containers are the most basic layout element in Bootstrap and are required when using our default grid system . Containers are used to contain, pad, and (sometimes) center the content within them. While containers can be nested, most layouts do not require a nested container.

1 Like

I’ve used this tool before! It’s very intuitive and easy. :+1:t3:

To expand on the container situation. I don’t believe BSS will allow you to add containers within containers, even though Bootstrap states it “can” be done, just not needed. So, you can either choose to do them per section/row/etc. or add one container as a wrapper type setup and that will allow all to function within it. If you do anything outside the wrapper though then you’ll want to add another container for it. Basically it’s for rows so that they format correctly as it sais in @printninja post for padding, position and such.

Correct, BSS doesn’t allow this, but it can be “gotten around” by adding a div to the page, placing a container in the div, then adding another container to the page and placing the div with the container inside the second container.

When I was first learning BSS studio years ago, I did this on a website I built to achieve something specific (something that the more experienced me would surely do differently now :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like