Error writing styles css.

I don't know if it's a bug but I don't understand why I get this error when writing css…

<h1>promo.jumbotron {</h1>

border-radius: 30px; padding: 40px; /background-color: rgba(255,255,255,0.75);/ }

Sorry if I'm confused I just bought the application and I'm a newbie.

Thanks in advance.

It's a noob bug ?.

You're quite green at this. We would recommend some free courses (free is good, right?) at w3schools.com and that should get you started.

After that, the BS Tutorials are pretty good.

You might want to take a look at mobirise, but I don't really recommend it.

If you have more money than time, there are web developers here in the forum that have really reasonable rates.

I don't know what your status is... please let us know.

The computer can't see the first bracket, because it isn't code, but is part of the H1 text. It's quite obvious.

Dear Mr.

First of all thanks for your reply ..

The error is the line.

background-color: rgba (255,255,255,0.75);

that he wouldn't let me introduce it, now after deleting it if he leaves me.

It could be a possible bug that has occurred because I first typed the function as rgb instead of rgba

The H1 thing is clear to me, it has been when copying the application and pasting that the character has left {where it shouldn't have been

Jose.

If you use four spaces in front of every line, you will get the following:

<h1>promo.jumbotron</h1>
{
  border-radius: 30px;
  padding: 40px;
  background-color: rgba(255,255,255,0.75);
}

I have noticed the same, the color is swapped out to allow for transparency. I've never seen this as a bug.

@PervasiveRichesLLC

Why do you feel it necessary to be a condescending to a new user asking for help???

@jvtecheto

What you've posted is not valid markup.

<h1>promo.jumbotron {</h1>

border-radius: 30px; padding: 40px; /background-color: rgba(255,255,255,0.75);/ }

First, the correct way to post anything code-related in this forum is by prefacing and postfacing the code with the tilda character `

Example: border-radius: 30px; padding: 40px;

The tilda will make your code appear as code should.

Second, there are a number of errors in what you posted. <h1> is an HTML tag, not a CSS rule. You can't stick an open bracket { inside an HTML tag. And you can't style the class promo.jumbotron by enclosing it in heading tags. There is no need for the slash / before and after the background color rule. I'm not sure if you actually typed these characters, or they somehow appeared when you attempted to copy and paste your code into the forum. You need to understand the difference between HTML and CSS in order to use Bootstrap Studio. The program does not allow you to directly edit the HTML on the page. That is what the components are for. You place the components on the page to "build" your HTML, and then style them either through the visual interface, or by writing code directly in the Styles panel.

Now, if you're trying to style the Jumbotron component, the correct way to do this is to drag it on to your page and then select it in the Overview panel (lower left) then go to the Style panel (center right) and click the Create button, which will create a new CSS class in your custom stylesheet for that component. This will override the standard Bootstrap CSS. Then you can write your new CSS rules (if you like to write your CSS directly.)

Alternatively, you can select the Jumbotron component and go the the Look & Feel tab in the panel at the upper right, and there you will be able to change the background color simply by clicking on the swatch and it will open a floating window where you can use either Hex or rgb (or rgba) to choose your color. The transparency is adjusted by using the slider below the color slider (it will automatically change the rgb to rgba when you move the slider.) This will apply the new background color as an inline style unless you select Create CSS Block from the dropdown menu at the top of the Look & Feel tab. You can also affect the background color of Bootstrap components by clicking the Option tab next to the Look & Feel tab, scrolling to Decorations and changing the background by applying a difference class through the dropdown menu.

There a number of different ways to accomplish the same goal in the this program. I would recommend that if you have no previous experience with coding websites from scratch that before you try to jump in and start building a site, watch the three tutorial videos and follow along with them, building the sample sites that are created in the videos. This will give you a pretty good working knowledge of how the program itself functions. You should also read through all the written tutorials, and as PervasiveRichesLLC pointed out, W3 Schools is a good starting point for learning Bootstrap, along with Bootstrap's own website.

Although Bootstrap Studio is built around the concept of "dragging and dropping" components to build a website, and it does include a few good starter templates, it's really not a great program for a total novice to just throw together a website. It is actually a far more powerful program that is capable of building almost any kind of site you can imagine, and to really get the most out of it, you do need a fairly good understanding of (at the very least) how Cascading Style Sheets work, and a general knowledge of how HTML and CSS combine to create a web page.

There are other programs out there that are less complicated and more (pardon the phrase) "idiot-proof" where they won't really let you do anything that will "break" the website (eg. Wix, Weebly, Mobirise.) That's not the case with BSS. If you write improper CSS, you can completely mess up your site and not understand how or why (though you can always delete the code to get back to the raw component.)

Hopefully this gets you pointed in the right direction.

OP remove the H1 tags and see if that helps.

Everyone starts out green, or as a noob.

No harm, no foul... and it's not condescending; it's just the way it is. BSS isn't the easiest piece of software to grasp.

I hope we've been able to help. OP did say he had problems pasting into the forum, which causes confusion.

I use four spaces and you use a back-tick. Either way there are errors which only tutorials, or a teacher, and time can help.

There truly aren't any noob friendly programs out there, and it's a shame. It seems there is always going to be a learning curve.

w3schools.com is the best place to go, imo.

@PervasiveRichesLLC

The guy came here looking for an answer, needed help on using the software, and basically your answer was, "you're a noob, you need to learn, go study, watch some tutorials, find an simpler program, or hire someone to do the job for you." That, to me, is being condescending. That, to me, is not being helpful at all. Maybe I'm wrong. But that's my opinion.

It's easy to get frustrated with beginners in these forum who seem to ask the same obvious questions over and over, and who clearly make obvious mistakes, so the right thing to do is be patient, explain to them what they've done wrong, then try and tell them how to do it correctly.

If you're not gonna take the time to try and write an answer that helps the guy solve his problem, why bother posting? Just to tell someone who's already admitted they're a newbie that they're a "noob?"

You've added nothing to what I already said.

You're last answer has 'nothing' to do with the OP.

Now you are trolling... end of discussion (at least on my end). Bye!

Now you are trolling… end of discussion (at least on my end). Bye!

Your first post was "trolling." I simply pointed that out to anyone else reading this thread.