Hide vs. Hidden

Wasn't sure where to put this since I'm not sure why it's not the same, but ....

I am totally loving the new addition of the Hide setup within the Overview and Preview windows, it is both functional and keeps the code clean too, Thanks!

I am however having an issue trying to figure out why the "Hidden" setting in the Options pane is not doing the same as the Hide does. It is still doing the old hidden setting. I am probably just not seeing why here, so if there's a reason it would be great to know what that is and if it was overlooked it would be great if it were consistent with the new Hide setting. :)

@jo, could you give us a screenshot of the Hidden setting you are referring to?

Here's a shot of the overview pane's Hide setting:

https://eiwd-tester.work/screenshot-holder/bss-support/overview-pane-hide.png

<br><br> Here's a shot of the Options pane's setting:

https://eiwd-tester.work/screenshot-holder/bss-support/options-pane-hidden.png

I am aware of 2 things at this point. The Overview pane setting seems to remove the hidden components completely from the code and the Options pane setting seems to just add the "hidden" code to the component. Just trying to figure out why there are 2 different ways and if I need to use them both or just one and of course, why they aren't the same.

Thanks for the screenshots, that hidden setting in the Options panel completely slipped my mind. You are correct, this is how the two options work - the "Hide" option in the Component's context menu removes it from the tree, and the "hidden" setting in the Options panel adds the "hidden" class.

As a rule of thumb, the settings in the Options panel set Bootstrap classes to the selected element. From that standpoint, it doesn't really make sense to have this setting actually remove the component from the tree, but I see how this can be confusing.

As far as utilizing them, they both have their uses. I'd say if you need a component to be hidden by default but you plan on showing it at some point with JS, use the "hidden" setting in the Options panel. If you have two versions of a component and you're not sure which one to use, for example, you can switch between them by showing one and hiding the other with the "Show/Hide" option from the context menu (without it resulting in messy code and commented out blocks of code, etc). Hope this helps!

Thanks Gabriela, that's pretty much what I was thinking, but I just needed to know if it was something that was supposed to be like that or not. I have a lot of projects that have utilized the "hidden" in the Options pane, but have been trying to decide if I want to swap them over, the way you explain it helps, thanks much :)

Quick add-on question on Hide: how can I search for items that have been set to Hide? I am specifically looking for Icons that are in such Hide-ed elements, so if you have a tip on searching for icon elements, I’ll take that too… PS: Icons are denoted with just an “i” so the search results (Show or Hide) are not useful, and I don’t think items in the Hide status get searched anyway. thanks!

in the HTML window, did you try searching for the word “hidden” (without quotes)? That will search anything that has the “hidden” tag on it.

The other way is that if you hid the items via the Overview panel or in the Visual preview window, it will show you the little eye symbol next to the hidden item in the Overview tree.

Thanks Jo! Yes on both. But looking for the eye with my eyes :wink: means I have to crawl through and expand all elements on each page. What I need is a direct way to seach for those… If not, I guess I’ll submit it as an idea for future dev.

Ah well there is that, but don’t fret yet! lol.

When you do a search in the HTML window, it will take you to the nice bright yellow highlighted items it finds, this includes the “hidden” tag. So … click on that in the HTML window and Wallah! it opens it in the Overview pane and takes you there so you don’t have to ruin your eyes too badly :slight_smile: