Install Bootstrap Studio on ChromeOS

As someone who has recently transitioned from Windows 10 to a Chromebook.
I had no clue exactly what I was getting myself into. I only moved operating systems due to my main desktop taking its last breath a few months ago, my laptop that I’ve had for over 5 years slowing down, which is only good for running my Minecraft Bedrock Server, and is mainly for programming using a Basic Scripting Language that isn’t resource intensive.

I’ve got my hands on a “Free” Chromebook. The Samsung Galaxy Chromebook Go to be exact.
It might not have the best RAM or space overall. But, I’ve managed in the last week that I’ve had it in my possession; I’ve learned a lot about the Linux Development Environment.

This will be a guide into the world of Installing AppImages that can be Pinned to the Shelf, and will show in the Launcher.

Forgot to mention in some places within this guide:
Every file should be saved to “Linux Files”.

The Linux Development Environment

While some people may just buy a Chromebook and not know there is a Linux Container, which is just basically a Virtual Environment that runs a stable and secure version of the Debian Distro.

Before we are even able to run AppImage Packages, we need to turn on The Linux Development Environment.

1. Open your Chromebook Settings. You can get there by locating it in your Launcher.
  2. On the Left-side panel, locate Advanced and expand this menu.
  3. Open the Developer settings and Turn On the Linux Development Environment, if you haven’t already. There’s some extra steps, which include giving a username, and setting up how much space you’d like the Environment to have on your device.
  4. Wait until the installation is complete.
  5. A Terminal will open, meaning you now have access to the Linux Virtual Machine.
  6. Run:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade -y
  1. Minimize the terminal, we’ll be coming back to it soon!
Downloading Bootstrap Studio

This is pretty straight-forward. You’ll need the Linux Version of Bootstrap Studio.

This will come as an *.AppImage file when downloaded. But, in order for this all to work properly; when saving it to your device, it comes as “Bootstrap Studio.AppImage”. You’ll need to remove the space between Bootstrap and Studio. Some commands we run soon and later don’t like spaces for some reason. It should look like: “BootstrapStudio.AppImage”.
After downloading the application, head back to the terminal and enter:

chmod u+x BootstrapStudio.AppImage

This makes the AppImage Executable, which is needed to run the application.

You’re also going to need an App Icon Image, you can download whatever you want for this image, as long as it’s *.png and a max of 256x256. But, because I know it would look nicer to have the original Bootstrap Studio Icon; I just went to BootstrapStudio.io and downloaded the Icon from the Navbar, saving it as it is: “logo_128.png” in the same location as BootstrapStudio.AppImage.

Creating the Desktop Shortcut File

This is pretty easy.

I’m not sure if all Chromebooks come preinstalled with Text. It’s the program with the icon that has the lowercase letter T between the greater than and less than symbols.

This is what we need to enter:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Bootstrap Studio
Exec=”/opt/BSS/BootstrapStudio.AppImage”
Icon=/opt/BSS/logo_128.png
comment=Create Responsive Websites using the Bootstrap Framework.
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Encoding=UTF-8
Categories=Utility

Save the file in the same location as BootstrapStudio.AppImage & logo_128.png.

Call it “ BootstrapStudio.desktop”.

“Installing” Bootstrap Studio

Open your terminal. We’re going to now go through the process of manually moving these files into the appropriate folders to allow Bootstrap Studio to show in the Launcher.

1. Install Nautilus.
    sudo apt install nautilus
    This is a File Explorer that can go a bit deeper into the Linux Virtual Environment.
  2. After installing Nautilus, opening the package will bring you to /home/{username}. You’ll need to create a folder called BSS and move BootstrapStudio.AppIcon and logo_128.png into this folder.
    If you’re unable to see the folder, turn on the option to see hidden folders.
  3. Back in the terminal, execute these commands:
sudo mv BSS /opt/
sudo mv BootstrapStudio.desktop /usr/share/applications/
  1. Wait about 30 seconds.
  2. Enjoy your now pinnable Bootstrap Studio AppImage.

If you’re running into issues when following this guide; don’t hesitate to message me on here.
I’ll help you out the best that I can!

Screenshot 2023-04-11 10.55.49 AM
How it should look after it’s installed.

1 Like

This short guide will help you with uninstalling Bootstrap Studio from your Chromebook.

With some Linux Applications that you install onto your Chromebook, you can easily uninstall them by right-clicking them in your Launcher and selecting “Uninstall”. With uninstalling applications that were manually installed, it requires just a little bit more work.

This is my mini-guide to uninstalling Bootstrap Studio from your Chromebook

We’re going to basically reverse the process that was followed above.

Reversing Installation
  1. Open the Terminal.
    Sadly, just trying to remove the files using Nautilus doesn’t work as it requires elevated permissions that aren’t available using that File Explorer. At least I haven’t figured out how to give myself those permissions in Nautilus.
  2. Enter the following commands:

sudo mv /opt/BSS /home/{username}/
Sudo mv /usr/share/applications/BootstrapStudio.desktop /home/{username}/

1. Open Nautilus or the default File Explorer and delete the moved files!

Very simple and easy enough, right?

Great work! Would love to hear what other Chromebook users think about the guide.

2 Likes

Thank you, @martin!

I hope this helps others out a lot. Especially since locating the original article I read isn’t easy to come by when searching “how to install AppImage files on ChromeOS”.

I should have linked the original source, which can be found here.
I tweaked it a bit for better file management, along with specifying the installation process specifically for Bootstrap Studio.

Sounds like a cool project.

We have a reasonably good Chromebook sitting around my daughter doesn’t use for school since they moved to different laptops.

1 Like

If you do end up trying it out; please do let me know how it goes.

I know some School Chromebooks restrict usage of the Linux Development Environment ( at least that’s what I’ve read ). Unless they’ve completely given it to you without restrictions on it.

1 Like

We own it. Wasn’t through the school.

I have a fair bit on at the moment. But now it’s sitting in the back of my head and will annoy me :joy::joy: I’m sure I will make some time to try it out. Not much of a Linux person. Mac user here.

1 Like

That makes sense lol

Honestly, I’m more of a Windows person.
But since I love trying new things, and because of my older laptop and no longer working desktop. The only reason I got a Chromebook was because it was “free” and I’ve heard mixed reviews.

It was about time I try it. Plus I have too many Google products and a Chromebook basically brings it all together. Haha.

I’d definitely give it a try though, especially if your Chromebook is just sitting there not being used. It’ll also help with confirming if this works with other Chromebooks, and help others know it’s reliable.

1 Like

Basically how I converted to Mac in 2007. My laptop had almost the perfect selection of bits to Hackintosh it, everything but WiFi was working. A few days later brought a MacBook Pro and never looked back.

Pretty sure it won’t move me to Linux though :grin:

I think out of different operating systems, Apple’s Ecosystem of devices is the only one I’ve never touched.

I technically didn’t switch to Linux, it was “preinstalled”. Lol
ChromeOS just kind of seemed too nice to pass up, especially when all I pay is $15/mo for it.
I still use my Windows laptop as my development environment for when I do Software development. But for my blogging, and just on the Go, the Chromebook has been so far so good for it. Especially with Wine installed to test run some of those applications that I throw into Google Drive for backups.

I still plan on going back to Windows. Just having a cheap alternative right now is all that’s needed. :melting_face:

1 Like

Since what I have is an older Chromebook. Although well spec’d when we brought it. I think it has 16gb ram. It will be interesting to see performance of BSS.

1 Like

Currently on 4GB Ram. Runs way smoother than I thought it would.
I would imagine seeing a possible dip on my end if I have too many pages open at once.

1 Like

I followed your guide, but the only thing I get is the icon on the taskbar spinning and spinning and spinning over and over again for 1 hour (I tried until that time)…

What might it be the problem? Thank you in advance.

Giorgio

If you’re on a Chromebook. I would recommend making sure you open the terminal first before loading the program.

I would have this issue at first when I made this guide.

I didn’t try to open the terminal first, I’ll try it.
Does opening the terminal first is a best practice as well as for other applications in general?
Sorry I’m a chromebook/linux user since a few days, I’m creating my dev environment.

Thanks

Sometimes the Linux VM doesn’t open when you run a Linux program right after turning on your Chromebook, or at all.

So you have to manually start the VM by opening the terminal.
Which afterwards any Linux programs will load normally, otherwise they might get stuck in a loading loop.

Thank you Gregory! I’ll try tonight.

1 Like