Meta tags and canonical links that are not created by BSS

Adding meta tags that I find useful, as well as canonical, but they are not created by the program, it would be great if the program were generated automatically, it would save a lot of time.

<meta name="title" content="">
<meta content="" name="keywords">
<link rel="canonical" href="">

<meta property="og:url" content="">

<meta property="twitter:url" content="">

Taking advantage of that same message.
The SEO preview does not conform to reality.
On Google
In titles the BSS only has 45 characters, recommended is 60 characters.
In description the BSS only has 125 characters, recommended is 160 characters.
I didn’t check the display on Twitter or facebook.
I noticed that on Twitter the image is only displayed if it is jpg or png. webp it does not display, whereas facebook displays the webp image.

1 Like

Can you not set this in the page properties? I am able to set the title and meta without any issue or character limitation.

Yes I Can!
This post is to give you an idea, I think some people may have difficulties doing this.
I’ve always done this manually, but since it’s a program, BSS, I believe this can improve it and even help with the program’s sales.

1 Like

Yeah, I think <link rel=“canonical” href""> is a big omission. I’d love to see it’s inclusion in the meta tags page.

I mean, it’s not a big deal to add things like this after the export via a text editor, but the less “add the stuff bootstrap studio doesn’t do” checklists I have, the more I’ll include BSS in my workflow.

edit: to clarify, I would like the addition of <link rel> and <link href> to the meta tag options, under Name, Http-equiv, property.

2 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions! The previews in the SEO section are only a rough representation of what would appear on search engines/social networks. Google can choose to display any snippet of your site’s content as the description. We will increase the length of these fields to match the recommendations you mentioned.

As for the canonical and other tags, you can add it from Head Content in the Settings. This can also be added to each page individually from Page Settings.

@martin
Oh yes, you totally can add the code in the properties properties and head section. The only concern is since custom code isn’t parsed, you can’t see if you have errors in your markup.

One thing I also noticed, there’s NO gap between global head content and per page head content.

ie:

if I have in the SETTINGS > Head Content > After Content > :
<some code here>

And then on the PAGE > PROPERTIES > Head Content > After Content > :
<some extra code>

Then on the page html it renders as:

<some code here><some extra code>

Could you please have the global header custom area insert a linebreak automatically?

1 Like

Thanks for making the changes to the BSS.
The auto generated canonical request is why I personally make sites with 80+ pages, this simple automated process would be very beneficial, at least for me.
I make institutional websites, for this reason I chose BSS (Bootstrap).
I don’t want to sound discordant, but if I were to do everything in my arm, Bootstrap would be a better and free option, I bought the program to get optimization in website creation.
I would like to take the opportunity to ask that, if possible, SASS be introduced in BSS, it already makes use of SCSS, but SASS has much more resources than SCSS.
I am extremely direct and objective, often misunderstood and even labeled as aggressive, I am not aggressive. Just direct and to the point, I really appreciate my time and don’t like to spend it unnecessarily.
Thank you very much for your attention and we will always try to have the best website creation program.
Oh! This reminds me, I would really like a theme and typography generator built into the BSS, if it is possible in the future I will appreciate it very much.

2 Likes

BSS is generating an incomplete canonical link, only the website domain is being entered in the meta tag.

Can you clarify? Are you saying BSS generates a canonical tag? I cannot see any settings in the program that enable you to do this. I still enter the tag manually on my sites.

Sorry, you are correct, on my site there was the global configuration and each page had another canonical link.

This tool is pretty good. You can put all your page URLS in an Excel file, save it as CSV, paste them here and it will generate canonical tags for all the pages.

1 Like

I’d like to give this topic a bump. I think that it would be a great thing (and probably not too hard) for the software to automatically generate the canonical tags for the pages.

I don’t know if this will help, but I usually add this to the head contents

<?php
$fullurl = ($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']);
 $canonical = trim($fullurl, ".html");?>

<link rel="canonical" href="https://www.example.com<?php echo $canonical ?>" />

This is set to strip the extension from the canonical as I set the server up to redirect to extensionless (made up word :wink: ) urls with my .htaccess file

First part strips the extension, Second lets html files run as php (this may differ with different hosts/servers)

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^([^\.]+)$ $1.html [NC,L]

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .html
AddHandler x-httpd-php80 .php .html

Giving this another bump, since BSS 6.3 is in development, I would personally love it if the latest release of the software could automatically generate canonical tags.

5 Likes

I also support this idea!

Giving this another bump, as it seems quite a few users would like to see this feature added
@martin

Bump… Me too please :relaxed: