Non breaking space?

Is there a way to add a non breaking space in a paragraph not using HTML (&nbps;)?

I've tried Control+shift+space, Alt 255 etc all without success.

I would have thought there would be as there is a force carriage return (Shift+return)

Thanks in advance

That's one of the most guarded secrets here. Not even @jo knows that

(and I guess not even the developer can tell you how to do it, I found it working around one of the many bugs the editor has)

to achieve a   you have two options:

• shift+space and than an additional space
  • a space and then shift+space

but you will see the   only in the browser preview -when viewing source- and not in the html source pane inside bss.

But as soon as you remove the additional space (if you added a   you certainly don't want it to be surrounded by a regular space) also the   disappears.

The developer has been told countless times some of us need this 'pro' feature, but lately BSS updates are just to add bells and whistles. So I give up. Create a private component with just   and use it. I know it's kinda idiotic, but supporting html entities is not a one of the dev priority afaik.

(maybe there's a better way, but I never found it too)

CREATING YOUR OWN   COMPONENT

There is no key combo that I am aware of for this one. To do these you will need to create a manual component for it by doing a Custom Code block. What I did was the following, to create one that is reusable:

Create a custom code block anywhere on your page. Give it a Label named NBSP or Non Breaking Space (whatever works best for you to know what it is). Edit the custom code element you just created and delete the default custom code that's in it and replace it with just this:

<span>&nbsp;&nbsp;</span>

Save your element. Click on that element in the Overview tree on the bottom left and right click over it and choose Add to Library. Give your Component a name and hit the Create button.

CREATING YOUR OWN BR COMPONENT:

The combo for that is Ctrl + Enter if you want to utilize the built in function. NOTE: You cannot use it at the end of a line. Also do keep in mind that you cannot "edit" those breaks at all other than to just remove them. In other words, I like to add classes to mine sometimes so that I can use Media Queries on them so they show for some screen sizes but not on others. (simpler than messing with padding and margin sometimes). To do that you will want to create a manual component for it by doing a Custom Code block. What I did was the following, to create one that is reusable:

Create a custom code block anywhere on your page. Give it a Label named BR or whatever works best for you to know what it is. Edit the custom code element you just created and delete the default custom code that's in it and replace it with just this:

<br>

Save your element. Click on that element in the Overview tree on the bottom left and right click over it and choose Add to Library. Give your Component a name and hit the Create button.

You'll find those you created at the top of the left panel where you can then drag and drop them where you want them in your pages.

Hope that helps!

haha thanks Marrco! I didn't know about the shift+space thing, asked Martin in another thread that he said it was added in with the BR, but never got an answer on that.

I still like my way better though :P Hoping they do a drop in like this in the app where we can add it to a Quick section or something to save our favorites we use a lot to.

That's pretty poor, I would have thought this sort of thing would have been included as a keyboard short cut (like Shift+return) - a lot of faffing about just to add a NBSP.

Just did a test on a new design.

Added a paragraph, typed a word, then I pressed the spacebar 4 times to insert 4 regular spaces then I typed another word. In Browser preview source code, and in the exported file source code, this is what I see.

<p>Paragraph &nbsp; &nbsp;Text</p>

Just did another test.

Using an external text editor I did the same thing, typed a word, then pressed the spacebar 4 times then typed another word. Copied that to the clipboard and pasted it into a new paragraph in the BSS editor.

In exported preview source code I see

<p>Paragraph&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Text</p>

Interesting, so it's maybe in there and we didn't know it. I'll check that out myself too, thanks for the heads up John. :)

I should also mention in my second test there were actually 4 non breaking spaces between the paragraph tags instead of the 3 in my example, copy and paste error on my part. Whoops! ;)

I already got to that point: 2xspacebar gives

<p>Para &nbsp;graph</p>

but you can't remove the first, regular space. So that there's always a regular breaking space before the &nbsp; Only way AFAIK is to add only a nbsp is via custom code and add <span>&nbsp;</span> as jo said.

IMHO the real issue is that this is a very basic HTML editing feature, missing from day 1, and requested many times, but the dev seems not to care about it.

ATM it's almost a week the dev (or the other rep) is not even visiting the forums to ban the idiot insulting other users and calling names. So I fear this project is not living a good moment. Maybe is time to move on and use something else.

@marrco

ATM it’s almost a week the dev (or the other rep) is not even visiting the forums to ban the idiot insulting other users and calling names. So I fear this project is not living a good moment. Maybe is time to move on and use something else.

I think you're right, and as i've bought a lifetime licence some months ago, i'm a little disappointed. I tought the dev are more here on the forum, and the product more maintained than it is really... :disappointed_relieved:

I've only brought a years licence at the moment, but it features like this that I'd expect - it doesn't seem too much to ask.

Another feature I find odd that is missing is 'find and replace'.

I've gone from creating and maintaining a 400+ page website in CSS where updating multiple pages using 'find and replace' in TextPad a breeze to having to update everything manually in BSS.

Could the developers please let us know if such features will ever be introduced?

Has there been any development on this?

It seems madness to me that if the only way to add a non breaking space is via custom code.

Double spaces and shift space does not work.

This is a pretty essential feature, every developer will at some point come across words or numbers (think phone numbers with international dialling codes) that they don't want breaking onto separate lines - yes I know I could add a character return, but its not very practical on a responsive layout.

Has there been any development on this?

Yes, this was added some time back. You can press Shift+Space to insert a non-breaking space. You can see more on our keyboard shortcuts page.

Custom Code, that's the only way to do it at this time.

Thanks, my mistake.. I presumed that this didn't work as in Bootstrap Studio's html preview it doesn't show as ' ' but it is in the exported html.

^^ supposed to say &nbsp in quotes

Search the forum. It's been implemented: shift+space but not all HTML entities are available if memory serves me right

Just ignore my previous post, I totally forgot that it had already been implemented. I'm so used to using the library item I created for it that I haven't used the Shift+space combo at all. I'll have to see what that looks like.