Preview not staying enabled

Is there anyway to enable the preview on a permanent basis. I have enabled it, selected the enable button, selected the preferred URl and gone into the url dialogue and saved it. Having worked on my file and saved it, next time I open it the preview is disabled again and I have to repeat. Is this by design?

BS Version 5.4.3
Windows 10

Yes this is by design. Iā€™m not sure why they do it this way, but it is working as intended if that is how it works for you. Each time you open the app you will need to open your preview to get it started for that session.

Thanks for your prompt reply. Much appreciated

Youā€™re quite welcome, wish it was a better answer for you, but at least you can stop knocking your head against your screen trying to figure out how to do it :stuck_out_tongue:

Itā€™s a tiny issue that takes about an extra second of my day, but surely ā€˜Enabledā€™ would be the more convenient default state. Or is there some sort of security factor that I am not considering?

1 Like

Unless thereā€™s a good reason for having the preview disabled on launch (@martin?), I would definitely prefer that once itā€™s enabled, it stays enabled between BSS sessions. Itā€™s tedious to always have to enable the preview every single time you launch the program.

I have a couple of theories why it is like thisā€¦

First: Sometimes when the computer is started the router assigns it a new IP address, so the link could be different. Saying that mine has been the same for about 18 months now, but occasionally it will change.

Second: As it is launching a (probably quite simple) virtual server which is constantly checking for changes, then it might use quite a few resources, although saying that, I just looked at task manager, and it isnā€™t that much.

What I would like is that every time you click preview in BSS it opens up in the same tab in the browser. I end up with about 30 preview tabs, as I find it easier to just click the preview button rather than switch to the browser. It could be as simple as adding target=ā€œbsspreviewā€ to the link.

I canā€™t remember the last time I had an IP change on my machine. I think it was when I had issues with my router and I had to reconfigure my network adapter.

I occasionally use Pinegrow and it has the same sort of browser preview function as BSS, but you donā€™t have to ā€œenableā€ it. Itā€™s on by default when the program launches. In the programā€™s settings, you assign the Internal Webserver hostname and then enter a free port number once, and thatā€™s it.

Pinegrow lets you open more than one browser preview, so you can have multiple preview windows open. Each subsequent window you open in Pinegrow looks for the first free port above the one you specify in the settings.

Iā€™ve never had an issue with it.