Recursive Import

Hi, I just purchased the lifetime version and want to import a current bootstrap-based website. Is there a way to do a recursive import instead of clicking on every single html. css, image file, js, etc.?

I don't know what you mean by recursive, but if it's doing mass import yes. Create your directories in Bootstrap Studio in the various sections they need to be in. Then right click over the directory you created and choose import.. Then you can select multiple files in a directory at the same time to import and it will import them. Goes pretty quick that way. Hope that helps :)

Sorry, let me clarity - I want to import our website which existed prior to my purchasing bootstrap studio. So I have directories already, like:

/var/www/html
/var/www/htmlassets/css
/var/www/htmlassets/js
/var/www/htmlassets/images/<10-15 subdirs>
/var/www/htmlassets/plugins/<5-10 subdirs>

I just want to do an import from bootstrap studio and set the main import dir as /var/www/html and it imports everything under it.

I see, no unfortunately you won't be able to do that. Since BSS doesn't really connect to your website it shouldn't matter though. Once you export you will just upload things directly to where you need them. Unfortunately, you will need to import things manually, with the exception of being able to mass import the actual items once you have the directories set up.

The other drawback you'll have here is that you will only be able to import the CSS, JS, and Images, unless you want to import the pages as Custom Code which I wouldn't recommend. Here's how I would do it.

If your CSS files are not in separate directories for specific components, just import the CSS files all at once. You will need to have them all local though, since you won't be able to pull anything directly from the server. Do the same for the JS.

Now for images which look like you have multiple directories, create those directories in BSS exactly the same way they are on your server. Then do as I suggested in the previous post and do the import of the files and navigate to the directory and import all the files in that directory, then do the next directory and so on. It does take a little bit longer to do this, but it will be worth it in the end.

Also keep in mind that another reason why this is important to do it this way is because BSS exports all supporting files into an assets folder, which not everyone is used to using. Looks like your system has already been set up that way so you will be used to that way of file structure.

Plugins will be the part that gives you the hard time. You will need to experiment with what works best for you with each plugin. Some are easily adapted with Custom Code, which I use for most of my plugins and external items, and some will work well by just applying them to the same structure and putting the JS files and CSS files they use into an appropriate directory in BSS and pointing the scripts to them in the Custom Code. Takes a little getting used to, but once you have to worked out it goes pretty quickly.

The biggest unfortunate thing for you is that you will most likely want/need to recreate your pages in BSS rather than importing them. Yes, you "can" import them, but you will not have any drag and drop capabilities in them at all if you do. Takes a little extra time to recreate them, but again it's worth the time and effort. I've done this with a handful of client sites already, and the more you do it the better you get at it and the faster it goes. I can usually recreate a site from scratch in about 4 to 8 days or so. That's not too bad for an entire site restructure in my opinion. Takes longer for the sites that have a lot of plugins and such like calendars and galleries and and and ... you get the idea i'm sure lol.

Give it a shot and see how it goes. It's not as hard as it seems at first for importing, and the nice thing is that if you have maintained a site for a lot of years, it gives you a chance to clean out the stuff that's been uploaded and no longer used etc. :P

Good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress! Holler at us if you need more assistance on it too. :)

Bummer. I was hoping to be able to just import a wrap bootstrap theme. I've done too much work to start over now :(