Using Bootstrap Studio for UX design?

I am a UX designer, Jim, not a developer. I don't know how to code (for the most part). I often get work doing responsive websites using Bootstrap. I am responsible for doing wireframes and mockups but no coding. Just the design. When I do wireframes I map out a 12 column grid with 15px gutters. Then I make sure my elements are multiples of the columns. I have a pretty good idea of how Bootstrap flows the elements.

I was thinking I might be able to use Bootstrap Studio to bring the content from the wireframe into a real Bootstrap environement to see and demonstrate how virgin Bootstrap will flow everything. I could cut and paste copy and images into Bootstrap Studio and then the idea would be to work them into a page and have the framework then flow them so I can a) make sure my designs are feasible in Bootstrap, b) document any custom coding that might need to be done to something specific that bootstrap doesn't normally do and c) show stakeholders so they can see how it is to work and also possible share the code.

Does this seems feasible with Bootstrap studio or am I missing the whole point?

Thanks for the help!

To use BSS to the full potential you will need to understand the basics of how to edit CSS and html

The tool will allow you to quickly scaffold a basic wirframe and by using drag and drop will make it easy to mark up a page and then export clean code.

If all you want to do is purely design - then sketch or adobe XD is probably better suited and would be easier to use

Thanks for the reply. The idea is not to use BSS to design. I do design in tools like Axure and Sketch. These are static design tools for getting all the page elements and layout designed. I often have to design for Bootstrap. Not being a dev I have to understand what Bootstrap does without understanding code. This is usually ok but I'd like to be able to try some layout idea out with BSS so I can really see how Bootstrap will treat them. This is to validate my design is feasible using Bootstrap and to identify where I need to change the design to suit Bootstrap.

Also, I'd like to take the content from wireframes and bring them into BSS so I can demonstrate to clients how it will work in real life, rather then speculate in a wireframe.

Do you think I would be albe to use BSS to achieve these goals? With or without having to learn some coding. if needed I could learn some coding. it would help me as a UX designer to be better acquainted to technologies that I often have to design for.

You would need to know CSS and HTML in order to do any of what you are wanting to do, as Chris already said. The app isn't a 100% drag and drop and push buttons app, there is a lot of coding involved in getting things how you want them in BSS. If you don't have that ability, then this app wouldn't really do you much good other than to help you learn how the coding works, then with tutorials and such it would be helpful there. Till then though, you'd be pretty lost trying to set things up in any specific special arrangements or colors or anything other than the default Bootstrap setups.

Ok thanks for the reply. I am coming to understand now... It sounds like the more immediate value to me would be to learn something about coding and of course the dev aspects of Bootstrap. It might be worth getting BSS as a learning tool along with online tutorials. Learn as much as I can about what you devs do so I can be a better designer when it comes to Bootstrap. I'll probably get BSS so I can explore what really makes this all work - the code.

Here's an OT question: I see 2 options: $25 with 1 year of updates, $60 with lifetimes updates... how often have paid updates come out and what is the typical cost? Just trying to decide which way to go.

@plexus

Are you by chance Mac based?

If so you may be interested in something like BlocsApp, it's Bootstrap based also and would fall more inline with your initial comment ...

-

I often get work doing responsive websites using Bootstrap. I am responsible for doing wireframes and mockups but no coding. Just the design.

-

It wont necessarily help you learn the underlying code as directly as BootStrap Studio might with time, but it will allow you to accomplish the above statement quickly. It may be work looking into since you are more of a designer.

-

Here’s an OT question: I see 2 options: $25 with 1 year of updates, $60 with lifetimes updates… how often have paid updates come out and what is the typical cost? Just trying to decide which way to go.

-

The cost of updates are included per sub version # x.X.X release, but paid updates are required for each new major version # X.x.x release.

You can see the typical updates release flow and frequency by looking through the roadmap and announcements:

https://bootstrapstudio.io/forums/forum/announcements/

https://bootstrapstudio.io/forums/forum/roadmap/

It may be work looking into since you are more of a designer.

.. worth looking into ;-)

If you are a user experience designer its a must you know HTML, CSS and JS. I have no excuse for saying this because I us bootstrap as UX/UI designer.