Tailwind Studio?

Well, checkout Dev Dojo’s Tails builder, terrible editor. If this team pulls out a Tailwind Builder, day one buy for me.

Very confusing website. Is Tails cloud-based, or an installable application like BSS? Does it allow you export the website you’ve created, or do they host your site?

It’s doubtful I will ever switch to Tailwind, but I am curious about their business model.

Well, I’m super interested in Tailwinds, and wanted to use it for a long time now. But, I need a visual editor like Bootstrap Studio for Tailwind. I also have shuffle.dev, but don’t like their editor either.

It’s cloud-based. You get an pro account and can access all of their tools. But, I’m not happy with it at all.

The fact that it’s cloud-based is an instant deal-killer for me. Does it allow you to export your website code like Webflow, or is it like Wix, where you’re basically “renting” your website from them?

Personally, I don’t get the appeal of Tailwind. To me, it feels like it’s one-step removed from using inline CSS. It’s like taking a step backward in web design.

The whole point of external CSS was to separate styling from structure. I’m very stingy in my use of Bootstrap’s utility classes. I prefer to write my own CSS, with plenty of annotation, so if I go back to edit a website in a year (or five years,) I can easily understand what everything does. So can any other developer looking at my code.

When I look at some of the HTML on tailwind websites, I want to poke my eyes out. Thirty or fourty utility classes all inline, one after another, with a huge horizontal scroll bar. Who the heck wants to edit that crap?

2 Likes

Well, I don’t mind that is cloud-based. I like that I can log in, do things, export or publish. Yes, it does allow you to export it as HTML.

I strongly agree with those issues that you pointed out. But, if I can manage all of that visually, and the production site is good, performing blazing fast, and is suitable for the job at hand, then I don’t see any problem why I shouldn’t use it.

But, again, Tailwind needs a visual editor just like Bootstrap Studio, so we can skip scanning the classes :slight_smile:

Tails Builder let’s see you see the added classes with pill badges, so you can just add/remove visually. My only issue with is their editor. Impossible to use it efficiently. And, I don’t know why they didn’t fixed that right from the release.

The problem I have with cloud based software is you can’t work on your project if your internet goes down (or the company has a server issue, etc.) I’m also not fond of monthly subscriptions, even if has become the accepted business model at this point. If I buy something, I want to be able to use it forever, even if it means I don’t get the latest updates.

At the end of the day, Bootstrap, Tailwind and all the other frameworks are simply abstraction layers. You should learn CSS if you want to be able to do serious website development. People argue that Bootstrap websites all look alike, and Tailwind gives you more flexibility to customize the look and feel, but it really just boils down to your CSS skills. You can learn CSS and override Bootstrap’s default styling, or you can learn hundreds of Tailwind utility classes and style your HTML that way.

But I still feel styling should be separate from structure.

2 Likes

This is the post that never dies :crazy_face:

Stumbled across this website builder that appears to use Tailwind.

Looks like it’s designed to compete in the Wix/Webflow/Squarespace arena (i.e. cloud-based, monthly fee, etc.) Not at all like BSS, but it does seem to offer quite a few interesting features.

I wish it would lol :rofl:

1 Like

I like to look at other builders because sometimes they have clever features that we can request they add to BSS.

Yeah, I get it. Things just get weird when it becomes you should add Tailwind to Bootstrap Studio. I think it would go better if it was “Hey, you should add this feature to BSS”. I would sign on to that if there is value in it, but typically that is not the case.

Definitely you need to launch Tailwind Studio. I want same UI for Tailwind Studio as of Bootstrap Studio. Actually what i learned from bootstrap studio is that we don’t need to remember utilities names.

I thought I had replied in this discussion before, but it turns out I haven’t, so here it goes.

There are several problems with the idea of adding Tailwind to Bootstrap Studio:

• Tailwind is a utility-first framework, where the developer combines numerous classes in arbitrary ways. This is much easier to do by writing code than clicking buttons in a visual UI. This means that the visual editing that Bootstrap Studio offers would be mostly in the way instead of helping.
  • Most devs use tailwind alongside react or vue. This entails that we would need to add support for these as well, and turn Bootstrap Studio into a full IDE. This is a massive amount of work which doesn’t make much sense given that good free IDEs exist already.
  • Tailwind doesn’t come with built-in components. Every developer prefers their own toolkit and they also mix and match snippets from around the web. This means we can’t provide a library of standard components like we do for Bootstrap.

In other words adding Tailwind to Bootstrap Studio isn’t going to work, because a good Tailwind editor would be a code-first IDE and not a visual drag and drop editor.

11 Likes

in the meantime interest is still growing for Tailwind: State of CSS 2023: CSS Frameworks

Actually, according to the Interest chart, interest in Tailwind fell slightly from last year, while interest in Bootstrap grew slightly (both by trivial amounts.) Still, both frameworks lost about 4% of their users from last 2022.

Overall Usage of Tailwind (which would seem to me to be the more relevant metric) grew by just under 5% while Bootstrap usage basically held steady. So Tailwind had more attrition than Bootstrap, but managed to retain its market share. Tailwind is the #2 “framework” with 50% usage (compared to Bootstrap’s 80%.) An impressive achievement for Tailwind considering relative youth of the framework.

It will be interesting to see if it continues to take away market share from Bootstrap (and the other frameworks) in the years to come.

Either way, I predict both frameworks will continue to dominate the web development landscape for the foreseeable future.

1 Like